Friday, September 9, 2011

Kambre Anne

After Darby left our lives, I was filled with an emptiness. I longed for a child more than ever and could not be persuaded against the idea. Reluctantly, my husband went along with my plan. By August I was pregnant again. This time I was slightly more prepared to deal with and identify any problems that might arise. I had a procedure called a cerclage done at 12 weeks and thought for sure that my worries were over. By 26 weeks of pregnancy, this proved not to be the case. I was went into labor, but for the time being, the doctors were able to stop it. This happened twice more. Finally on January 30th my water broke under the constant strain of contractions. Almost exactly 24 hours later my daughter Kambre Anne was born. I had carried her for 31 weeks, but that was not nearly long enough. Like most preemies she had trouble maintaining her body temperature and her oxygen levels. She also could not eat on her own. Additionally two ventricles on either side of her brain had hemorrhaged. One of these hemorrhages caused her brain to scar. Due to her lack of progress and the scarring, we were told she would probably have some form of Cerebral Palsy. She was released from the hospital on Good Friday, a full two and a half months after being born. Since that time she has shocked everyone with her amazing resilience. She has overcome, quite  effortlessly, some insurmountable obstacles. Last year Kambre started Kindergarten and I was anxious to see where she stood academically.  One day, I received an email from her teacher to tell me that she was going to refer Kambre to the gifted program! To say that I am proud of my daughter would be a grievous understatement. She has taught me so many things over the years that I truly do not know where I would be without my strong, funny, smart little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment