Friday, September 9, 2011

Darby Elizabeth

When I was 18 I had a doctor tell me that due to some medical problems I had, it would be wise to have children as soon as possible if I wanted to have them at all and even then it may never come to pass. Fortunately for me, my then boyfriend was willing to test this theory out. We were married in May of the following year. In January, I got what I still consider to be the best news of my life. I was pregnant with our first child! Although this is an everyday, mundane occurrence to most people, for me it literally the sum of my every hope and prayer. It wasn't until some months later that that dream was dashed against the rocks of life. On April 18th 2004 I started having some complications. I went to the hospital and found out that I was in labor. Due to hospital policy, it was determined that no action would be taken to stop my labor. Since I was only 19 weeks along we knew that our child would not be able to survive. Darby Elizabeth was born and passed away on April 19th 2004. I have often been known to say that it's ironic how the best and worst day of one's life can revolve around the same person. This is most certainly how I regard Darby. It has now been over seven years since we lost our daughter. Although I am not in the same place that I was when it happened, I still have moments in which the pain is no less poignant that it was back then. I am convinced that Darby's memory will forever stir my soul. Her life, although it lasted just a moment, changed mine forever.      

No comments:

Post a Comment